Labels

Donnerstag, 10. August 2017

The Far North

Let me tell you something about New Zealand roads: They are narrow, winding and steep and you are allowed to drive 100km/h everywhere! Even at passages when I only trusted myself to go 40km/h at the most or flat roads where it could as well have been unlimited. Weird... The other thing is that every few kilometers there would be a sign next to the road promising some viewing platform or another waterfall. Sometimes it's worth the time just to follow those and see where they lead you.

After driving for quite some time (and a little stop at Shipwreck Bay) I finally reached the Giant Sand Dunes on the northern tip of the Ninety Mile Beach. At the carpark I rented a board and was soon ready for another adventure: sand-boarding! You can also rent some glasses if you haven't got any.
To get to the dunes you must jump over a little stream and walk up there... puh! Although it was winter I would have been happy about short pants and a t-shirt. The ride downhill was worth the exhaustion though and the speed is exhilarating!


When I had had my share of excitement I continued to follow the road up to Cape Reinga, the northern tip of New Zealand. The Maori believe that this is the point where their spirits climb down to the sea to leave the mortal world. What a nice place to say farewell to the Earth!
From the carpark it was only a short hike to the lighthouse and the signpost showing all the famous cities in the world. There I met two other tourists and after having a nice look around we decided to risk something... and climb down to a beautiful deserted beach. We simply had to have a spontanuous bath in the sea before we made our exhausting way back up the cliff. At least now I can say I swam right where the Tasmanian Sea and the Pacific Ocean meet!
As sunset was close again I decided against driving over to Spirit's bay and made my way back to Paihia.



See me?

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen