Labels

Samstag, 23. September 2017

To and from Twizel

The next day, however, I had to leave. I had rented another car and left for Twizel. On the way I passed Lake Tekapo, which was still as beautiful as I remembered with Mt. Cook in the background, and then Braemar Station at Lake Pukaki. I stopped there for a while to have lunch on the shore and then followed the road along the lake.


 


This boy just couldn't resist jumping into my photos...

There was a salmon shop there but being a vegetarian I only ordered a hot chocolate before I finally arrived at the High Country Lodge. The room was comfortable but also more expensive than usual and I only stayed for one night without even using the TV in the room. After a short walk I went to bed early to fully recover.


The next morning I left for St. Bathans. The historical village was pretty and especially quiet. Even while walking along the man-made lake I didn't meet a single person. At least there was a woman in the Vulcan Hotel, famous for its ghost. It didn't show up at lunchtime though so I continued on my way. The Poolburn Reservoir location was too far off my track so I missed it and drove to Sutton Salt Lake instead. Although the Lord of the Rings hadn't been filmed here it was a really nice spot and I couldn't resist doing the whole loop around the lake (45 minutes).

The township of Cromwell also lay on my way



St. Bathans...

...an old Gold miners' town

Sutton Salt Lake

Some time after sunset I reached my destination, Manor Backpackers in Dunedin. A comfortable hostel with high ceilings, large rooms and great new friends!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen