Labels

Dienstag, 24. Oktober 2017

Singapore

On Monday the 2nd of October I flew from Sydney to Singapore. The flight was long but Singapore Airlines was great, we got good food, could watch the newest movies and series and even got hot towels and a toothbrush! I had a whole row to myself so I could actually get some much needed sleep.
Once at the airport I got really confused and it took me some time to even find the baggage claim. This is the worst airport I've been to... At least I found the correct train to the city. There I was met by Soon Fen, a friend of Theo's who offered to host me for a few days. After the damp heat outside I was relieved that she had a working air conditioning in her room!

The next morning we walked through one of the parks and I nearly died from the heat. I'm just not used to that and I was sweating just by standing there. I didn't give up though so after a few hours we finally arrived at the train station on the other side. We had seen many squirrels jumping around us but unfortunately no monkeys.

No, that's not all sweat... I just used every chance to hold my head under a tap.



Henderson Waves

When Soon Fen had to get back to university I continued to Chinatown. It was awfully crowded and everything was so loud, colourful and kitschy. Everyone actively tried to lure you into their shops and although everything was so cheap and exotic that just made me want to escape the crowd.
I went to visit the Indian and Buddhist temple and for both I had to dress up in traditional long-sleeved clothes. It was weird but of course I respected their culture and it was definitely worth it. The paintings and decorations are amazing!

Chinatown

Sri Mariamman Temple

Buddha Tooth Relic Temple





Still I was a little wary of the Singaporean food in particular and after a long search I finally found a place where they sold pizza. I might have missed some great experience but with no recommendations and as vegetarian I just wanted to be on the safe side.
To end the day I walked to the Flyer but by then it had started to rain so I didn't go up. Instead I went to see the two free light and water shows in Marina Bay, very impressive! On the way I probably got my tenth smoothie from Boost for the day, it just helped me to survive in this tropical weather.


The Merlion


A canal through a shopping mall?!


For the next day I didn't have any particular plans so I just went to Wild Wild Wet Waterpark. Although I was on my own I had great fun and the slides and rafts were really cool, especially the free fall where a trap door suddenly opens below your feet.
Timo, a German exchange student I got to know in the last two days, accompanied me on my next adventures. We met for breakfast on Thursday and went to Sentosa Island. There we first visited Adventure Cove Waterpark. It wasn't as cool and big as the other one and the queues were pretty long but they had a maze and a tiny high-ropes course. We also went snorkeling in a fish pool for about 20 minutes. They came so close that I actually touched a few of them just by drifting past. That was cool!


We also got a Fun Pass which gave us discount on five different activities on the island. The MegaJump was pretty boring because it was only 15 meters high and after my bungy this was like a stroll in the park. The 4D Adventure Cinema was cool though and the Luge as well although we had to wait for ages.
Timo also went surfing at the Wave House but by then I already noticed that I had a huge sunburn and I didn't feel all too well. To conclude the day we went to the Wings of Time Show after dark. The acting was very exaggerated but the lights and special effects were very well done. I was really exhausted in the evening but we had had a great time!
The next day it was time for me to leave and get back to my university in Germany. I boarded the plane in the early morning and was on my way back home. I didn't really miss Singapore but I realised that this was the end of my holidays and that didn't exactly lift my mood. I also had a cold from all the air conditioners (it had actually been freezing cold in all the buildings and the contrast to the temperature outside was far to big!) and when we landed in Dubai and later in Frankfurt my ears really hurt. I probably shouldn't have flown while being sick but I didn't really have a choice.

Look at this structure in Dubai!


At Frankfurt airport I had to discover that my suitcase was missing a roll and I told them straight away. And can you imagine, a few days later I received a new suitcase! Just like that, without a note or anything. That was a surprisingly quick and great service, thank you Emirates!
After arriving back on German soil I took another train and was finally home by 11.30 pm on the same day. I just wished for some sparkling water, real bread and sleep.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen