Labels

Dienstag, 2. April 2013

Christmas and holidays, opera and university

Christmas followed very soon after my arrival in Germany on the 20th of December 2012. As always my family was there, my sister, parents and grandparents. It was cold outside although it didn't exactly snow unfortunately. The traditional German Christmas food was cooked, no sign of fish 'n chips. The Christmas tree also would have been real if we would have had one this year.
Of course I had to talk a lot and tell them every detail of my stay in NZ. In the last few days my parents had almost seen all of my photographs. Almost ! And also every book, picture or souvenir I had brought home with me. Somehow it felt like nothing had changed this past year. Everything was so normal !
I realised then that I actually hadn't missed anything important here in Germany, that life was as always and only I had so many new experiences. It was like time had stopped here to give me the chance to try out a new life.

 Preparing for the Christmas dinner

Mum, Janine and I are singing carols to the piano

It were the third winter Holidays in a row for me and my parents took me to Austria for 2 weeks. We walked in midst a beautiful world of ice and snow. It was so high that sometimes we sink in up to the chest. For the first time in at least 7 years I went skiing again, but I wasn't used to it anymore. I had grown a bit more scared of the steep and icy slopes than I had been when I was 5 and it also hurt !
At New Year's Eve I was still so tired that I went to sleep at 11pm after we had our very very small private firework.
But at any rate it was the right decision to go on a holiday together. I could spend time with my family and get used to my new-old life again. So maybe going away on holidays is a good idea for other returnees as well, although I have read, that some people rather like to stay home after such a long absence.
It probably is a very personal thing.

beautiful landscape


nighttime sledging

hiking

playing

Zell at the Lake

spending time together



The New Year's Eve fireworks I missed, fortunately my dad did not.

And of course skiing...

If my family has noticed any difference in my character? Not really. My mum only says that I am more cuddly than before, but I'm still the same person.

Immediately after my arrival I also started preparing for my audition for being a Junior Student at the Robert Schumann University in Düsseldorf.  Some weeks I had three singing lessons and I learned a lot in that time. Then on the 31st of January (the week I also did my work experience in the theatre) I sang 2 and a half songs in front of about 8 judges and answered a few questions about how often I would practice etc. It was over very fast (not 30 minutes as I had expected but barely 10) and I could go home. I had a good feeling and when a letter arrived only a week or so later I was very happy to find out that I had been accepted into the Programme. So from April on I will have two singing lessons a week with Professor Dr. Michail Lanskoi and every two weeks the whole saturday with theory like rhythmic and music history.
It's so great ! I have never been sure that they would accept me although I was the only one auditioning with voice, but I'm so glad now ! And very thankful to my singing teacher Mr Schotenröhr who was a very big help the last years and who actually made me come a step closer to my dream of becoming a professional singer later. Thank you !!!

at the uni in Düsseldorf


last practice


Furthermore I joined a choir in another city, Essen. We already sang big works like Carmina Burana, Stabat Mater from Pergolesi or the St Matthew Passion. Also we are part of the choir for the production of Parsifal. That is a 5-hour Wagner opera. Singing on a big stage is very fun and to be around professional singers so often very interesting. Of course there are very many rehearsals and at least one performance every week. We actually get paid for being there !

Here's the flyer of our very modern production "Parsifal" with Jeffrey Dowd in the title role.

All this keeps me very busy, even  more busy than in New Zealand, but I love it. It helps a bit to not be so sad about what I had to leave behind though, of course, I miss NZ and all my friends there a lot. I don't think that'll ever change and I don't want it to either !
I will always remember...

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen