Labels

Donnerstag, 10. August 2017

Rotorua - Part 2

My plan was to drive to Kaituna to raft the highest accessible waterfall, it's 7 meters high! But unfortunately they had flooded it so I had to think of something else to do. Luckily I had found friends and together with the two American girls I set out to try the Adventure Room, titled "The Black Queen". We had 60 minutes to solve riddles in four rooms and find the key to get out. It was so cool! We were very different so everyone solved other riddles. I for example could name the piano keys and also won a little game of chess against the evil queen. Although only 30% can find a way out we actually made it with 3 spare minutes!


Because we had now regained our energy we went to walk through the 3D Trick Art Gallery. That was fun! I can't even decide which pictures I like the best... but decide for yourself!















After all this excitement I asked the hostel to borrow their guitar, take it up to my room and just play a bit. Suddenly a girl stood in my door - apparently the whole hostel had heard me! It was nice though for we then had a little jam session. Why not?
In the evening Jo (in the picture above she's the girl on the right) and I had booked a cultural experience at Tamaki Maori village. There were a few other options around Rotorua, eg. Whakarewarewa or Te Puia. Why I chose Tamaki I couldn't say and I don't know if they were the best but I definitely had a nice evening! After a welcome ceremony where the clan warriors officially greeted us in their halls we went to different huts in the village to learn about their culture: wood carving, paddling a waka (canoe), the Haka (war dance) and the Poi. I even got to try them out, it's so difficult!




The mighty chief - identifiable by his moko (face tattoo)

After all those information we could sit back, relax and watch a truly stunning performance of their songs and dances. The volume of their voices is simply incredible! The evening ended with a traditional Hangi, a meal cooked in the ground, and I discovered Rewena, the absolutely delicious native bread! And of course kumara, how I've missed the taste in those last 5 years! To round off the evening I sang my favorite Maori song on the bus drive back to Rotorua: "Hine, e Hine".

I'm going to skip the next day and make it into it's own post after this one, you'll see why...

On Monday Jo and I got into the car once more but this time we ended up at Te Wairoa. This village had been buried in the eruption of Mt Tarawera in 1886, not that long ago! First you walk through a very interesting museum containing archaeological discoveries as well as photographs and testimonies of eye witnesses and victims. Such a horrible fate to be buried under many meters of ash! After the exhibition we stepped out onto the archaeological site and saw the remains of huts, ovens and fences... It must have been very beautiful before!



See how high the mud was!


Wairere Falls


For this evening's sunset I chose a walk along the coast to Sulphur Point and further on through Kuirau Park. I am content, now I've seen and done all I wanted to in this area!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen